Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Children the same the world over

This morning I walked to the supermarket under some ominous looking dark clouds. As I was walking home the rain came in torrential bucketloads so I decided to nip into our brand new MacDonald's for a hot chocolate until it eased off. Afterwards I walked home with my brolly up, but everytime I had to cross a road I had to wade through a foot of water so my jeans were soaked up to the knees. Iwandered down the hill, watching the river running alongside of me and sometimes having to plunge my way through it. As I drew nearer to my house I could hear shrieks of laughter.
I rounded a corner to see seven street kids having a wonderful time literally rolling in the gutter. They had been soaked in the storm so they figured that they could not get any wetter. They were playing in the water. I yelled at them to stay there until I came back with my camera. By then the river was more of a stream but they still had fun. After taking the pictures I rushed inside and printed a copy of each for each child. They were so excited. They told me that they come from the Chacarita and they had no photos of themselves. They could not wait to run home and show their Mums. Small things can make kids happy and water fun is one of them. I was so wet that I almost joined them.

No comments:

Post a Comment