Monday, February 8, 2010

Hot! hot! Hot!

Since I have been back in Paraguay there has been no 'let up' in the temperatures. I was out in 44 degrees celsius yesterday (going for ice-cream!).
To add to the problem the electricity company cannot produce enough power for everybody. They have been cutting various circuits and areas, seemingly randomly. My flat has been affected twice. Even when the power is not off it is working at about half power or less. On Saturday night I had just one socket and a lamp working (no air-conditioner). I plugged in extension leads and ran a stand-alone fan and kept cool under wet towels.
I count myself fortunate as some poor souls have had both water and electricity cut off for several days. Some people were so mad about it that they arrived at the President's palace with backpacks and towels to demand a shower after three days without water. I don't know whether they got one.
Unfortunately three people died yesterday because of the heat.

There is never a dull moment in Paraguay!
Please pray for the Lord's intervention so that all real needs can be met during this crisis. We need some rain to cool things down.

No comments:

Post a Comment