It is my birthday today. I always miss having close friends around on my birthday. Either I am here and they are in UK or vice versa. However, I was determined to enjoy the day.
I woke up in the early hours so I opened my present from Mags and Gwen and resolved to wear it today. It was a lovely, little, pendant with a typical Paraguayan Guampa and bombilla in filigree silver.
I then slept in late. When I finally opened my window shutters I was greeted by a sign hanging from Sharon's balcony across the road, in English, but which most Paraguayans understand. (At least it did not have my age on it!)

I invited Sharon to come out to lunch with me. We did it in style, calling a taxi and going to La Paraguayita, a well known local restaurant. There we indulged ourselves in a very typical Parguayan asado (grilled meats) lunch.

Sharon, being Sharon, had brought streamers, a deflated balloon, a lollipop and a noisy blower to complete the birthday decor!

The amount of meat for two was the usual Paraguayan mountain (enough for four or five) but we took a doggy bag home with us.

My day was finally made when two pupils came in with their dad and stepmother. Emmanuel rushed over to greet me first with a big "Hallo, Mrs. Van! (He had forgotten my name already, but at least he spoke English.) His older brother, then came over and he and Sharon sang "Happy Birthday" to me. I was so touched.

This afternoon I am putting my feet up and I am going to veg out in front of a DVD.
All in all, a good day and another good memory to stash away in my mind!
No comments:
Post a Comment