Happy New Year to you all. It is now time to change my header to my blog again.
I hope that you had a good celebration. My New Year was a bit of a damp squid this year. Everybody is away apart from my friend, Sharon, who lives just across the road. She decided to invite people round and to have a party, so I was invited too of course.
I went shopping for some nibbles and gaseoso (Coca Cola etc) and Sharon slaved in her house cleaning and cooking. Then, in true Paraguayan style, with about half an hour to the start of the party the phone calls came in to say that people could not come. (They obviously had better offers). Poor Sharon was so disappointed. In the end I stayed at home and waited for the fireworks, which actually started mid afternooon and went on until around 2.30 a.m. At least I did not hear so many guns being fired this year.
So, what does a missionary do in the holidays? Apart from my trip down south in Paraguay, I have not yet decided to take off travelling as in other years. I have been happy to stay around home and to do some clearing out of rubbish that I have accumulated over the years. In Paraguay nothing is wasted. I threw out a broken video machine, old videos in English and loads of English novels, as Santa brought me a Kindle this year. I placed them into the bin ready for the bin men and within about five minutes they had all disappeared. A taxi driver took most of the stuff. I bet he did not realise it was all in English. Very few people speak English here.
In clearing out I came across a stash of jam jars. Hmmm, I couldn't throw those out. Consequently I went off to the market in search of mangoes. It is the season for them. Beetroot was also a good buy. I came back laden with loads of big mangoes and loads of beetroot. I then searched for all the other ingredients and spent the rest of the day peeling, chopping and cooking. Of course I managed to chop the chillis and rub my eyes. Ouch! The smell of the spices cooking was mouth-watering.
It was a stinking hot day and I ended up exhausted. However, I produced twenty jars of delicious chutney..... Spicy Mango to go with my curries and spiced beetroot and orange to go with roast and asados (barbecues). Chutney has only just become available in the shops here and it is outrageously expensive, so I am quids in now and can't wait for it all to mature enough to eat it.
No comments:
Post a Comment