Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Hot! Hot! Hot!

Now am I complaining? No way! I just love being in 40+C whilst pottering round, doing jobs and walking to the shops at about 2.00p.m. What is it that they say about "Mad dogs and English......"? I constantly remind myself about frost and snow in UK.

I love holidays and the time to do what I need to do. This was supposed to be "sewing" week and "laze about". Neither has been accomplished as I would wish. 

The problem started with my fridge/freezer going on the blink. That has meant two afternoons out, the first transferring stuff to a temporary replacement whilst mine went for repair. (It took an hour and a half to clean it once emptied!) and then I had the same in reverse today.
All I need now is to find the repair a typical Paraguayan repair and I will have to start all over again.

I have lost track of days so I will just say, "The other day." The other day I decided to tackle my front garden before the sun became too hot. I have had no lie-ins because jobs need to be done early, or the heat means that they don't get done. Having just spent a half hour on my treadmill exercising, I then went out to hack the plants. I cannot say that I prune because really I don't have a clue. I just take the shears and secateurs and hack. I then pull out anything that looks suspicious. The result is very pleasing and I have received good comments from the neighbours, so it was all worth the effort.

A few years back I bought a little rose bush to put in. I did not expect it to last as the sun blazes on it all day. However, it has flourished and it gives me such pleasure. 

Last week I went out with friends to an outlet shop that sells locally made, cotton fabric at knock-down prices. I bought enough for four pairs of cut-off trousers. I had bought some trousers in South Africa that had pockets everywhere. They are great for travelling in South America, where your pockets can get picked at every turn. I had found a pattern and decided to make more. It is a long story that took five hours in the making, but at the end I had a pair of trousers that would fit an elephant. I tried some swift alterations but with so many pockets in different places, I then ended up with a pair of pants that would be great for a giraffe with a crutch round its knees.
Now I ask myself, "What am I going to do with the other three pieces of material?"
Some of you may remember Beto, on the right.
I posted this picture of him and his friend Mauricio in 2010, when they came to our church. They were both addicted to alchohol and drugs. Both started coming to Sharon's Bible study across the road. However, they both slipped back into addiction. Now a miracle has happened and Beto has kicked his habits. Mauricio is still a victim of alchoholism, which is his escape from the reality of living in poverty, with no hope. Beto is coming along to the group regularly, but he is now in bad shape physically, due to malnutrition.
Please pray for Beto. His life is a tremendous struggle. He is in his thirties, intelligent and articulate, but he has never been able to get proper work. He comes from a family with horrendous problems. These guys just plod on, living one day at a time, trying to make sufficient money by cleaning car windows at an intersection with traffic lights, to buy enough food to survive. They lose hope of any “normal” future with a job and a family.  However, the Lord is now using Beto to bring others for prayer, counselling and to accept the Lord into their lives, which is a real encouragement for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment