I have spent the last week packing and unpacking my suitcases trying to get a quart into a pint pot and not be overweight. Finally I managed to get two cases of 31.something kgs and most of what I would need for the next few weeks into them. I was worried about my hand luggage as it was at least twice as heavy as the permitted allowance. My computer bag weighed a ton as it was packed with lots of extras.
I was racing around right up until the last minute when Alberto and the maintenace team arrived to take me to the airport. I was so honoured that all the guys came to see me off. I never had to lift or carry a thing.
On arrival at the airport there was a long queue. However, a nice young man took one look at me and my entourage and I was whisked through to check in, ahead of the queue.
My hold luggage was weighed and was spot on. The ticket lady then looked at my hand luggage so I picked up the trolley case with one finger and she did not weigh it. She told me taht the computer was permitted, but she had no idea what else was in it!
There was then a hitch because my return ticket only came back as far as Brazil so my passport was taken away to be checked for visas and work permit. I explained that I would get a bus back from Brazil so would not need a visa as I would be in transit. This was not accepted. I could not come clean because I had not handed in my Paraguayan documents (just in case!!!). However, I then told them that I would get the ticket changed in London and they were happy with that. I never told them that I would not be returning.
I went straight through to the departure lounge and was enjoying a sit down and a drink when I was paged over the tannoy. However, I knew it was not a real problem because I was called as Linn Tedman and not my full name of Linnette. I was called to security, where an offical refused to let me go back. Then I saw Sally (the Bishop's wife) and Liz (Head of secondary English) gate crashing through security to wish me farewell over a rope barrier. Liz handed me a card, which the security guard grabbed and put through the x-ray machine. There was then time for a quick hug before we parted.
I only had a two hour wait in Sao Paolo before the plane started boarding. They called section A. I was E and realised that there may be no hand luggage space left by the time I boarded, so the little grey haired old lady did her "struggling with the cases and being confused" act. I was whisked to the front and boarded with lots of help.
As I settled down a young man, Daniel, came to sit next to me. He was an interesting young English man who lives in Florianopolis (a favourite place of mine) in Brazil. We enjoyed conversation during the journey. He also helped me get may bags down at Heathrow.
I had been prepared for a long queue in Heathrow. In fact my bags came through quickly, a kind baggage handler lifted them onto a trolley for meand I walked straight through the green light. As I came through my friend arrived at the gate in perfect time. We were away within a few minutes and had a good journey back to Judith's house.
I am now a mix of emotions, missing my beloved Paraguay but excited about what the future holds here for me in UK. I have a busy few weeks ahead and need to stay focussed on one day at a time, trying not to look back too much.
It has been fun writing this blog over the past three years. I hope that you have enjoyed reading it as much as I have enjoyed writing it.
If you can read Spanish (at least Linnspeak Spanish you can follow my new blog on http://linntedman.blogspot.co.uk
God bless you all and thank you for your wonderful support during my mission in Paraguay. 1997-2012 (fifteen of the best years of my life!).
No comments:
Post a Comment