Monday, July 9, 2012

Rubbish

It is amazing how much clutter and rubbish one can accumulate in fifteen years. I thought that I had cleared all the rubbish a few weeks ago but now the Hickmotts and I have managed to pile up more than our fair share again on day one of my clean-up. Thank goodness not much rubbih is wasted as the scavengers come round each day and take absolutely anything that can be recycled or used.

Yesterday there was an old lady outside the house, with her grandchild. She thought that Christmas had come early when she found my discarded school uniform. I stepped out of it and threw it away because I considered it no longer serviceable. I had already put the best aside for our refuge down the road.
The little girl was delighted to find a few broken old toys. I went out to hand over a plastic pot of tiny coins that I had discarded. The woman's eyes lit up with happiness and a broad, toothless grin ensued. There are so many poor people in the world and we sometimes just do not think how happy they would be with what we think is useless. It really humbled me.

No comments:

Post a Comment