Last night my neighbour, Hannah brought her two fish to my flat for me to feed them while she is away. I warned her that I could not guarantee that they would be alive upon her return. That was said "tongue in cheek."
Imagine my horror when I went to get a drink of water in the middle of the night and found a dead fish. I missed Hannah by about a minute this morning before she left, so at least she can enjoy her holiday to the Iguazu Falls with her brother, without grieving.
We had a wake with some Argentinean squash and then my new neighbours' kids joined me in a funeral for Ben the fish, out in the sunshine in the front garden. His coffin was a matchbox. Kind words were said over him and he was respectfully buried in a quiet corner. The children then placed a headstone, a wooden cross and beheaded one of my flowers for his grave. Children are wonderful!
No comments:
Post a Comment